Clear all

Phone and Text Messaging

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
peacock93
(@peacock93)
Topic starter

I'm probably just overlooking this but I don't see my Phone and Text Messaging in CarDongle UI. Are we supposed to see them in CarDongle like with Android Auto or should I just pair my phone with my vehicle and use it through there?

Posted : 27/02/2021 4:52 pm
peacock93
(@peacock93)
Topic starter

Update: I paired my phone with my 2020 Durango. While using CarDongle I can't use my steering wheel buttons to make calls. I'm sure it's because I'm in Android Auto with CarDongle. So, how do I make and receive calls and text messages through CarDongle?

Posted : 28/02/2021 9:35 pm
chrisstavrou
(@chrisstavrou)
Eminent Member

Hi, using CD in my Volvo XC40, I am able to make calls from the steering controls same way as android auto (select from dashboard menu). Also I am able to control music from steering control too.
The trick i used was first to make sure that the phone (S10 Samsung) connects with Head unit and then plug in CD.
Hope this tip helps.

Cheers
Chris

Posted : 04/03/2021 5:17 pm
lumacone
(@lumacone)

hey Chris, i also have an XC40 and a samsung note 10. can you tell me then if you can use the car's microphone and speakers to make phone calls?
Thanks
R

Posted : 05/03/2021 4:21 am
lumacone
(@lumacone)

when i have the cardongle i would like to connect the phone as you did, the CD with the hotspot of the XC40

Posted : 05/03/2021 4:30 am
chrisstavrou
(@chrisstavrou)
Eminent Member

Hi lumacone,
i am able to make calls by selecting from the menu that appears on the dashboard.
Also i am able to answer incoming calls by using the steering controls.
It's using the car's speakers and mic during the calls as usual.

I also noticed that the sign of the Bluetooth in the car still shows as connected with the phone so i guess its still using the Bluetooth as before.
I will try to post some pictures here if possible.

I have setup S10 to have hotspot and CD connects with Wifi to it.
In fact, i am using Bixby routine which detects that the car connected to the phone with bluetooth and turns on hotspot and mobile data automatically. This way CD also connects automatically to the hotspot.

The only point that i did not manage to make it work with are the SMS text messages, they can not be shown in either CD or the dashboard of the car.
The message app of the car complains that connected device does not support SMS messages.
I will investigate more and report.

Cheers
Chris

Posted : 06/03/2021 6:08 pm
Share:

We are made up of a team of passionate programmers, industrial designers and Android lovers who wanted to innovate the way Android is used in modern day vehicles.

Where To Buy

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!