Alternative to GPS4Dongle2021-03-31T03:02:18+00:00

Home Forum Forums Troubleshooting Alternative to GPS4Dongle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to get the GPS sharing on GPS4Dongle on my phone to connect. The app will always say “Not Connected” on my phone no matter what I do.

My workaround, which might be helpful to others is as below.

Bluetooth GPS on CarDongle – googoo.android.btgps
    Bluetooth GPS Output on my phone – com.meowsbox.btgps

I had to enable mock locations on the CarDongle in Developer options to use Bluetooth GPS. Bluetooth GPS Output is a paid app, you can use it for free (however there is a time limit of 10 minutes)

Using these apps I can use Waze on my CarDongle. I have not tested with Google Maps, next time I go for a drive I’ll test it.

Hopefully this helps those who can’t get GPS4Dongle to connect to their CarDongle

dandin
    Participant

For some reason the forum doesn’t allow direct links to the Google Play Store

Use those app short names to search for the apps on Google Play Store.

dallasnights
    Participant

Not sure how you did this please provide more details and let us know if it works with MAPS APP and might solve the GPS problem

Thanks

jerwam
    Participant

From what I can tell you simply need the app called Bluetooth GPS Output on your phone, created by Meowsbox, and Bluetooth GPS, created by GG MobLab, on your CarDongle, and they speak to each other.

When the Bluetooth GPS is running and connected on the CarDongle it does show that it is connected to GPS satellites, however, when using a different GPS testing app on the CarDongle it doesn’t show any. On the plus side when I opened Waze it said “connecting to GPS” and shortly after that disappeared. No other indication it wasn’t connected to GPS, so one can assume it is working.

As I am sitting at my desk testing this I haven’t taken the device down to my car yet, I might do that later this afternoon.

dallasnights
    Participant

Interesting will try this out later today thank you

dandin
    Participant

jerwam is correct, I’ve only tested it with Waze when I went for a brief drive yesterday. The map displays your route as you drive along and it even shows your speed as you drive along.

Just like jerwam, when I used a GPS Test app it did not show any satellite connections.

I merely posted this as a workaround so that you can use Waze on your CarDongle.

dallasnights
    Participant

Well all I can say is thank you I will give it try later tonight or tommorow when I actually drive:)
    Appreciated everyone’s support and ideas maybe you all found a viable workaround for us instead of GPS4 dongle which does not seem to work at all

Thanks again!

dandin
    Participant

Just tested Google Maps, it works.

andrea.paluzzi
    Participant

Really Maps works?
    in my case, GPS on maps works on static map. When I start navigation, CD loose GPS signal and navigator freeze.

In your case, does the “Google Maps Navigator” works with your workaround?

dandin
    Participant

Yes, it works whilst navigating to a destination

Space_Bison
    Participant

I could not get my CD to work properly with this method. Google maps failed as soon as I started a route while Waze sorta worked. In Waze, the vehicle location was tracked but was “off” by several hundreds of meters. Bluetooth GPS shows I was connected to the phone (P30 Pro) and I could see the phone & lat/long coordinates while using the app. Bluetooth GPS Output on the phone indicated it was connected to the client and mapped a great many satellites. Not really sure why the accuracy was so wonky.

The CD Dongle app in the end provides me with better navigation (accuracy) with both Waze and TomTom Go. Google maps does not work however (fails same as above).

chrisstavrou
    Participant

Using these two apps, Google maps reports GPS signal lost after a few moments after starting the navigation on my CD. I am not really sure if Google maps work well with mocked GPS provider which the Bluetooth GPS app seems to utilize.

SpursMadDave
    Participant

Was playing with this exact app just the other day as I can’t get the GPS4Dongle app to work on my phone, it occasionally shows connected but even then GPS doesn’t work.
    I couldn’t get the BT connection working but can’t remember what app I had on the CD maybe that was the issue, will have to try it again at the weekend

dandin
    Participant

Did you enable mock locations? You need to be do that for it work

SpursMadDave
    Participant

@dandin

Not sure how to enable mock locations in developer setting on my CD, will have a look and see if I can work it out, but would appreciate some info on how if you could

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top