CarDroid FAQ’s Thread2020-10-18T17:56:56+00:00

Home Forum Forums Faq’s CarDroid FAQ’s Thread

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Indiegogo FAQs: LINK

CarDroid.com FAQs: LINK

Kellic
    Participant

Will the UI work with Android Auto that only uses a scroll wheel on the console for input and not a touch screen? Specifically my Mazda CX-5. I know you list compatibility with the CX-5 series. I just wanted to make sure I can actually use it.

Never mind. I found it buried under the combability section. The touch screen is disabled when AA is running. So this won’t work. For any Mazda vehicle.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by Kellic. Reason: Found the answer buried under the compatibility area
    Tommy
    Keymaster

Once you enter CarDroid, Cardroid is the main System. You can install AA onto CarDroid though.

Check out CarDroid tutorials:

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by Tommy.
    Tommy
    Keymaster

Q: Can you use CarDroid to mirror from your phone to the screen?

A: CarDroid’s main objection is to free up your phone. One you connect to your phone’s hotspot, you can navigate CarDroid directly via the touchscreen.

We may add mirroring feature in a later firmware release.

Q: I have an (any phone model), is it compatible with CarDroid?
    A: Yes, CarDroid only requires your phone can be used as a wifi/bt hotspot. The rest of the operation goes directly via the CarDroid / stereo touchscreen

Q: Are these available in the US/Canada/etc ?
    A: Yes, we will be shipping CarDroid Worldwide. If you are in the USA, Cardroid will ship using USPS. Expedited add-on ships using DHL. If you are in Europe, then we also ship using post from our European warehouse. DHL ships from Hong Kong.

Q: Does it allow me to use Android Auto and/or Navigation without my phone?
    A: When you plug CarDroid in, you won’t need to use Android Auto. CarDroid is basically an alternative for when you don’t want to use Android Auto.

You only need to use your phone as a hotspot. Then you operate CarDroid using touch screen.

Q: If my phone is required, does it allow wireless connection?
    A: Yes, you can connect via Wifi/ BT.

Q: How does the device connect to the internet? I do not see a sim card slot.
    A: Wifi hotspot as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMXn3b8Go9c
    There may be a sim slot upgrade option depending on the demand.

Q: Is it able to use the car’s built-in GPS. I am afraid the signal won’t be as good from where my USB plug is.
    A: There is a built-in GPS antenna. We will be confirming if you can still use your car’s GPS.

Q: I have a 201x ___ model vehicle with Android Auto and the stereo has a touchscreen, can I use CarDroid?
    A: YES! All you need to have is a vehicle/stereo with Android Auto and a touchscreen and you can boot-up and navigate CarDroid.

Q: Can we see more footage?
    A: Several of our sample units that were meant to be used for videos were lost by the shipping agent. We will be uploading more footage to our channel soon.

Here is the latest teaser footage which shows the process of connecting to CarDroid and operating it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMXn3b8Go9c

Q: Can I sideload APKs?
    A: Yes, it is very simple. We will also be uploading tutorials so subscribe to our Youtube channel.

Q: Will there be an upgrade to Android 10/11?
    A: Yes, there’ll be frequent firmware upgrades.

Q: Does CarDroid support split screens?
    A: the factory stock won’t support this feature. There may be custom ROMs developed by the community though.

Q: Do I have to use SIM card for streaming?
    A: You can connect to your phone’s hotspot to stream. We may be offering a SIM Card slot upgraded version depending on how many people request this.

Q: What should I buy CarDroid?
    A: CarDroid may not be for everyone. If you are content with Android Auto and its limitations, the you may not need CarDroid. There are several limitations that users complain about.

Also, currently there are only mirroring dongles which which don’t have standalone operating system. The mirroring devices also require you install an app on your phone. Basically, it ties up your phone.

We’ll let the community members tell why they were waiting for a device like CarDroid to come around.

Q: What is the status of CarDroid production?

A: Tooling and molds are all ready.

We are adjusting firmware now and preparing components for assembly. As soon as our campaign is finished, we’ll purchase everything we need to deliver CarDroid’s to our backers. We estimate CarDroid should begin shipping out early December.

Q: What is the boot time for the device between starting the car and say, being able to use Google Maps? Any chance you could post a video of the boot sequence?

A: You only need to connect to hotspot once. Once you are connected, then the bootup is rather quick. You can see the bootup screen in this updated teaser video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMXn3b8Go9c We will be uploading more video once we have more professional footage taken. We launched the campaign before we had quality footage due to CarDroid fans asking for us to release it soon.

Q: I want to use CarDroid but still want the Android Auto functionality. Can I install Android Auto app onto CarDroid?

A: Yes, you can install the Android Auto app onto CarDroid. We’ll make a tutorial showing you how to sideload APKs.

Thanks CarDroid Fans!!

• This reply was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by Tommy.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by Tommy.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Tommy.
    wavd
    Participant

Q: How does the device connect to the internet? I do not see a sim card slot.
    A: Wifi hotspot as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMXn3b8Go9c
    There may be a sim slot upgrade option depending on the demand.

demand +1 for me please 😉

drive88mph
    Participant

So I have to do the hotspot connect process everytime i start the car? Are you going to automate this in a future upgrade?

Tommy
    Keymaster

SIM version may be ready as soon as 6 months… there is still some testing and firmware adjusting we need to do 🙂

Tommy
    Keymaster

if you’ve connected before, then it automatically connects

Tommy
    Keymaster

Here is an uncut video of CarDroid running the latest firmware version:

DesignGuyEli
    Participant

Can I connect to any WiFi network or must it be through my phone’s hotspot? For example can I use a mobile hotspot or in-car WiFi? If I connect to an in-car WiFi hotspot, can I still connect my phone to Cardroid via bluetooth for phone calls and messages?

Tommy
    Keymaster

yes, you can use your car’s Wifi as a hotspot.

can I still connect my phone to Cardroid via bluetooth for phone calls and messages?

Yes, you can connect your phone to CarDroid’s BT and call/message.

Thanks!

Blckshp
    Participant

Habra actualizacion para usar los microfonos del auto, ya que en algunos modelos el conector USB se encuentra dentro de la guantera o el reposabrazos encerrando el cardroid, y puede provocar problemas de audio

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top