Got my GPS working (sorta, but it seems accurate enough)!2021-03-05T21:10:32+00:00

Home Forum Forums Troubleshooting Got my GPS working (sorta, but it seems accurate enough)!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Requirement: Car Launcher from the GP store (I use the free version personally). Not sure if you need to have it running as the actual launcher, though.

* Hit the Settings option for the launcher
    * Go down to Extra Settings, then GPS Settings
    * Hit the check box for “use the new way of working with GPS”
    * Restart the dongle (just in case)

I just drove about 200 miles over mountains and it appeared to be accurate every time I looked at it. Going to test Google Maps navigation on the way back.

Curious if this workaround works for anyone else…

Coinchee
    Participant

Does it also show ur speed correctly? I had 5-8 mph mostlæy, then suddenly skipping between 20-45mph on highway… back and forth, back and forth…

jrwill
    Participant

I haven’t looked, but it does track well. Nav is busted, but that’s not terribly surprising.

lllsondowlll
    Blocked

Doesn’t really do anything for Waze or other map software. Google maps has always kind of worked but just has a glitchy interface. It seems to help google a bit but the orientation seems kinda messed up. Will play with it more. I even went as far as using GPS tether and mock locations in developer settings to no avail. The fine drive diagnostics tool fails GPS. I’m thinking the overall issue is going to need a firmware update assuming this isn’t a hardware problem.

This may serve as a good workaround for some but the bugs with nav are really what kind of kills it for me.

jrwill
    Participant

Yeah, nav isn’t working, but at least you can see where you are on the map. Which is why I said “sorta.” 🙂

Tommy
    Keymaster

Thanks for the tips on how to improve the GPS performance. The CarDongle uses the same GPS antenna that is used in many smartphones. It turns out it may not be strong enough. Around March 20, we will hopefully have another firmware update that allows you to mirror your phone’s GPS onto the CarDongle screen. This feature will be supported on Android phones and only for GPS. Hopefully adding GPS mirroring will be a welcomed workaround. Thanks again!

jrwill
    Participant

Okay, so I did some more testing as I was driving home.

1: Yes, this does track speed and direction just fine! Something with the nav does not work with Maps, though. Haven’t tried Waze, but I imagine the same happens there.

2: Mirroring phone GPS… kind of makes the CD useless for maps, then, cause you could just plug the phone in and use fully-working AA. Maybe there’s a way to expose the phone’s GPS over BT, like having it feed NEMA coords to the CD?

3: Are there any schematics of where the antenna is physically located in the device? Maybe we could tap into that and modify it (even if it extends outside the case) to be able to pick up signals? I really wonder why it can’t pick up any GPS signals, even with a clear view of the sky. EMI, maybe?

Tommy: I’d be interested in discussing this topic “offline” if you’re able to do that. I have a fair bit of knowledge when it comes to these things and might be able to offer suggestions.

lllsondowlll
    Blocked

1. Waze doesn’t work at all
    2. Already did this, this method will not work as it uses mock locations in the traditional sense when utilizing GPS tethering. Maps / Waze are hard coded to ignore mock locations.
    3. The GPS doesn’t actually lock at all. You can test this yourself from the built in fine drive diagnostics tool. It is using triangulation to detect and not actual satalite. The GPS module shows no signs of making a lock and fails diag

They will most likely have to find a way to forward the GPS driver to pick up a GPS emulator instead of the hardware gps that doesn’t use androids mock locations function for this to work without the apps detecting it.

— Android Engineer

jrwill
    Participant

Mock locations aren’t enabled in the dev options, though. I have no idea how it’s tracking, giving speed, etc. this way, unless it’s using Skyhook to get a starting location and using built in accelerometer / compass / etc. to fake the location data. If so, Android’s doing a hell of a good job.

I can concur that it’s not getting any signal at all from any of the GPSS satellites, though; I put a couple of diag tools on mine and it’s just not picking anything up.

https://www.antenna-theory.com/design/gps.php

I may see about cracking mine open this weekend and looking at the board layout (unless someone else has done it or can send me the PCB schematics, hint hint). 😉

jrwill
    Participant

You know, looking at that page some more, I wonder if orientation of the CD might have something to do with things. If the antenna runs the length of the dongle, maybe pointing it vertically would make a difference. I’ll try it tomorrow and see.

My other guess is that it’s parallel to the wifi antenna, which could be masking / distorting the signal enough to make it unreadable? Spitballing here, cause this is an interesting problem and I don’t know how the design passed the builtin tests for GPS.

(Hardware / firmware engineer here)

dandin
    Participant

My unit can get satellites but the location isn’t accurate. Infact, even the date/timestamp from the GPS is incorrect by exactly 2 hours. Interestingly my latitudinal location is correct but my longitudinal location is off by about 250km

jrwill
    Participant

How many satellites are you picking up? You need 4 in order to get an accurate lock.

lllsondowlll
    Blocked

Jrwill you misread my post. I am saying using GPS tether software + mock locations won’t fix the issue as I’ve tried it. I’m not saying it’s enabled by default.

jrwill
    Participant

So even if an Android decide is being fed NEMA coords, Maps / Location Services will ignore it?

That’s a bummer. 🙁

jrwill
    Participant

It seems like Maps navigation works with the GPS Tether app in the Play Store + mock locations. Waze still seems screwy, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top