New Firmware Update (March 16 version) – adds GPS mirroring2021-03-17T02:27:59+00:00

Home Forum Forums Developer’s Section New Firmware Update (March 16 version) – adds GPS mirroring

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

You probably should have seen a prompt to update your firmware inside CarDongle.

ALWAYS do this update as we are resolving issues/bugs.

If you need to do a hard upgrade, the tool and version #46 firmware are here: March 16 Update

Tommy
    Keymaster

GPS mirroring APK for phone download link is here: GPS MIRROR APK

Ztensa
    Participant

Hey Tommy, I’ve tried to update the firmware through CD but while I’m in the car with my hotspot on. The only thing is when I initially go to setting->update, there’s the update button. Initially its darkened but then the update button is selectable. But once I select it, it acknowledges that I pressed it but then it doesn’t do anything else. Am I supposed to update it in Mirroid instead?

Ztensa
    Participant

Oh nevermind…I see the tutorial in the firmware link

stefano
    Participant

Ciao Tommy,il mio Waze funziona benissimo con il mirroring GPS disattivato sul CD anche avendo gps4dongle installato e attivo sullo smartphone. Se attivo la funzione di mirroring ,Waze si perde subito ,soluzioni ?? Consigli di fare un Reset di fabbrica dopo l’update?? Tutto il resto funziona bene,you tube vanced etc.. comprese app per lo streaming TV che si vedono e si sentono benissimo

jerwam
    Participant

Who among us has actually gotten the GPS4Donagle app to connect? What is it supposed to connect too? I’ve tried all the settings, gave it all the permissions, and it never connects. I’d assume it is supposed to show that it is connected to the GPS satellites, but is it supposed to show connected to the CarDongle itself? My app is always in standby, never connects, but since we haven’t gotten any further details on the app, I am at a loss on what to do with it.

Wizard
    Participant

I have got it to work using TomTom Amigo on the CD and the GPS4 apk on the phone. Whilst it is running the GPS4 app on the phone says it is sending the gps position. I have not tried it on any other navigation. Other post says it doesn’t work on google maps. Connection to phone from CD via hotspot from phone and GPS4 app has all permissions.

jerwam
    Participant

So I think I have it connected, it looks like the connected status in the app shows connected only after Bluetooth tethering is active within the CarDongle. If it is only using WiFi, then the app never shows connected. So step one complete.

With step two, actually using the map apps – @Tommy – what Map Apps does this support? The setting in the firmware mentions Map app, and not Map apps, so kinda wondering which one is officially supported by this. I tried Google Maps and Waze, both come up and say “searching for GPS” as soon as I start a trip. Well Waze says “No GPS – showing approximate location” even though the GPS4Dongle app shows it is connected and sending GPS data.

jerwam
    Participant

Thanks Wizard, I’ll try and give that app a go. Of course now that there are so many apps needed for the phone I’ll need to plug that into the car to charge it while its in use. But since I only have one USB port, I can’t use the CarDongle … I don’t think I’ll be using this device until the hardware itself is built better. I’ll stick with straight Android Auto for now.

@Tommy, has there been any discussions on my post in the topic “CarDongle Wish List” ?? I think every user of this device will agree that the first hardware change should be an upgraded GPS antenna, and offered to every user free of charge. From there we can do a wish list for a v3 that could include things like SIM support, but that’d be at a cost.

vlada011
    Blocked

When you install any car launcher you can have access to all apps installed on dongle.
    There is one interesting app called Fine.
    When you open it you can see that this app is for device control before shipping.
    Mic, wifi, BT tests are passed but not GPS. One time when you start test says GPS disconnect. Other time GPS connect.
    There is also option to check with or without antenna but anytime test is failed.
    And also there is an option to check is the device for shipping or not.
    This means two things.
    Device are either not tested or they are tested but sent with knowing that GPS cannot past the test.

liunam
    Participant

So I installed the latest (3/17) firmware as well as the GPS4Dongle APK. Still no GPS/maps. Now I am not able to connect the CD to the internet no matter what I do. Before my phone’s hotspot or my home internet would always work. This is so aggravating. Is there a hard reset on this device where we can start over?

AP756
    Participant

Vlada, flashing with SPFT? Assuming all drivers are installed correctly do
    – start SPFT as administrator
    – select the scatter file in the folder you put the downloaded firmware in
    – select button download in SPFT
    – now (not earlier!) connect CarDongle to the USB of your computer
    – wait (can be up to 1 minute to detect the CarDongle) before something happens
    – red bar will be shown, a couple of yellow bars
    – a checkmark on green background will appear
    – now you can restart CarDongle in your car.

Don’t forget to set correct time zone and time!

Bye for now Fred

AP756
    Participant

It’s not bye bye. My experience with MTK devices is: The sequence of your actions is most important. Do try what I have suggested, there is a reason for that. Worst case for me was a phone I needed more than 4 months to revive…

Bye for now Fred

vlada011
    Blocked

Device is totally stuck in some stage.
    PC does not detect it, lights not power up.
    Only thing that tells me the device is HW alive is that its warm and nothing else.
    I followed your procedure but the result is same but as expected the result was same.
    The major problem is that without screen is hard to determine in what stage is stuck.
    I will try to recover it from classic boot loop in start and then I will see what can I do.

AP756
    Participant

Thanks for letting us know. Bad luck. Anyway I’m sure your unit will come back to life – if I get another idea I’ll let you know.

Bye for now Fred

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top