Request: Flash able ROM for beta users2021-07-08T07:52:19+00:00

Home Forum Forums Developer’s Section Request: Flash able ROM for beta users

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ll but in here with a little bit of knowledge which I know means I could be dangerous.
    I don’t have a CarDongle but I do use Android Auto.
    When I connect my car to an Android Auto phone for the first time I have to confirm some permissions that pop up on my phone’s screen (I don’t remember what they are but they are different from the Bluetooth permissions) before I can start using Android Auto in my car.
    Perhaps this what is already being said but it sounds like the car could be asking some permission that can’t be answered by the CarDongle since there is no screen.

jerwam
    Participant

Yeah, if CD provided the root capabilities, or someone on the forum gets it rooted, that’d open up these devices to a whole different world. With standard Android Auto on here, I’m sure it’d work with a lot more head units. I have tried the basic “one-click root” programs out there, but nothing can get it done. I don’t have the programming background to be able to perform the root myself.

Fred, I read your device was sent back due to Germany customs? That sucks, I can’t imagine how long it sat there before you finally found out it was returned to sender. I bought an RTX 2060 on eBay from a Russian seller, and it apparently has been sitting in Germany for roughly two weeks now. It left Russia on Sept 14th, handed over to Poland Post on the 16th, made it to Germany Post on the 18th, and that is when tracking went dead.

The joys of postage during a pandemic.

AP756
    Participant

Pandemic is a put-off. They make us believe that they work transparent and accurate. In my opinion this is bullshit. Please follow tracking number LG751715270GB and you’ll see the parcel was delivered to Hayes and Neulingen at the same time (distance between both towns 900+ km / 560+ mls)… The parcels are lost/destroyed. CD promised on Sept. 22nd to send two new samples. Now I wait.

Rooting should be possible by injecting Magisk into boot.img after unlocking the bootloader using ADB. Be sure I’ll try that way. After rooting CD AndroidAuto can be exchanged with a newer version (if CD didn’t program in a unusual/cumbersome way).

Bye for now Fred

jerwam
    Participant

Hello Rkcrlr; I got that prompt on two of the three cars I tried the v1.5 device on. All I needed to do was unplug the device, give it a minute or two, and re-plugged it back in. On the second load it skipped that screen, and loaded the CD without issue. It’s almost like Todds cars just aren’t seeing the CD device at all, at least not the most important Android Auto side of things anyways.

Todd, let us know how the Hyundai test goes. Hopefully that works as they are very similar to Kia, they might even share the same infotainment system.

RKCRLR
    Participant

Hello Rkcrlr; I got that prompt on two of the three cars I tried the v1.5 device on. All I needed to do was unplug the device, give it a minute or two, and re-plugged it back in. On the second load it skipped that screen, and loaded the CD without issue. It’s almost like Todds cars just aren’t seeing the CD device at all, at least not the most important Android Auto side of things anyways.

I tried to edit my original post but the edits didn’t stick and I no longer have the option to edit my post.

What I was going to suggest is make the car and a phone with Android Auto forget each other – like they’ve never been connected before. Then connect the car and the phone and see what steps are involved with that particular setup to get them to work together. It may provide a clue on what the car is looking for when the CarDongle is connected.

Space_Bison
    Participant

Whelp lads…had no success today with anything. Laptop/bluetooth connection trick nor with testing a new phone hotspot/bluetooth tethering setup. Last hope for me is to try it in a Hyundai..

All works great in a laptop with Mirroid (hotspots and blue tooth – although they are as slow as molasses with speed testing) but this V1.5 thing will not work in my car(s).

Kinda peeved as well at the silence from above……..not a peep since I mentioned I’d reflashed but got same results.

Todd……out for awhile.

Space_Bison
    Participant

Well the official word now is “maybe we have to add support for your car’s stereo”. I’m to try the device in a non Mitsubishi vehicle. Once I do so I’ll report back.

Todd

Space_Bison
    Participant

Supplemental Post: I should have also mentioned they have stated “We don’t think the phone model will have an affect on whether the CarDongle is read by your stereo.” Which is good.

My only thoughts now are why did V1.0 work right out the box in the Mitsubishi cars (aside from the GPS issues that is) and V1.5 doesn’t? Maybe there’s a simple answer to that….

Todd

AP756
    Participant

Simple answer: Something changed :-). Well, this doesn’t help and we all don’t have s clue… We learn waiting…

Bye for now Fred

Space_Bison
    Participant

Hahaha, good one Fred! 😉 I’m further wondering how many other car manufactures need support built in…….

Take care, I’d tell you to host a beer for me at your local Oktoberfest but maybe they’ve all been cancelled due to Covid.

Todd

AP756
    Participant

Todd, if you don’t mind I’ll drink that beer at home (I’ve got a nice self-brewed beer). Oktoberfest is a ~150mls journey and I don’t drink when driving ;-).

I remain in standby as long as my batteries last. Cheers

Bye for now Fred

Space_Bison
    Participant

Well fellows, I managed to get it tested tonight in a 2018 Hyundai Sonata and it worked. Was able to successfully use Google Maps, Waze and Play Store. I didn’t have much time in the car so couldn’t test anymore installed software.

I did have trouble however using my Realme 8 phones hotspot/Bluetooth connection. It just wouldn’t stay connected and when it did, I had no internet. In the end we used a Samsung S20FE for the hotspot and had success.

So possibly the device needs to have Mitsubishi Head Unit support added in.

Todd

AP756
    Participant

Grat news Todd. Worth asking your car dealer if there is an update for your head unit.

Bye for now Fred

jerwam
    Participant

I’ll second Fred, that is great news. At least we now know it is something with the Mitshi head unit and not the device itself.

I was doing some testing on the device yesterday and I actually got it rooted following an old post, below. Things went easier then expected.

Root

Once it was rooted I was able to remove some of the bloatware, mainly the Radio, Camera, and some of the CD apps with Root Explorer. I first tried titanium backup, but that couldn’t do it. I had to go into the actual System folder and delete them from there.

I did also see if these would work with an updated version of Android Auto, and so far it looks like they won’t. I first deleted the App from the System folder, and then tried to install it via the Play Store, but that didn’t work. Gave me the basic “Can’t install Android Auto” so I had to side load a newer version.

I took it out to the car, and nothing, well I shouldn’t say nothing. The device turned on, the rings started to go blue, then solid blue for a bit. My Ford saw the CD unit was plugged into the USB port as it said “CarDongle connected” with the USB icon, but eventually the ring turned orange and no indication Android Auto was ready to go.

I am going to re-flash it shortly, with the edited boot.img file, get it rooted once again, and then take it to the car. I am not going to remove any apps, or install any launchers. I want to see if it works again with their version of AA. I wonder if they needed to “hack” AA to trigger the CarDongle to load properly in the car.

The interesting thing is if I load AA while it is plugged into my PC via Mirroid, I see the CarDongle logo flash before AA loads into the standard AA screen you would see while you are running it on a phone. I don’t remember what it did in Mirroid with their version of AA.

Report back shortly.

AP756
    Participant

Jeremy, today is a good day! We got some way further down the road. Thank you for trying and especially for informing us. I think you got a problem with AA because some stuff wasn’t removed correctly, but I might be wrong.

For removing apps yo may use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jumobile.manager.systemapp (needs root). This way you get not only the program but also all related stuff deleted.

If you find a way to share your modified boot.img this would be great. Please rename it related to the hardware used. Example: “boot_V1.5_Magisk_22.0.img”

TIA and bye for now Fred

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top