Home Forums Developer’s Section SIM slot compatibility

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So there’s a SIM slot on the CarDongle. I plugged in a data-only SIM to it and it doesn’t seem to be detecting. Is this something expected to be supported in the future? I’d love to just have a SIM in there and not have to mess with turning the phone hotspot on, joining the phone to BT, etc. every time I get in the car.

ribby18
    Participant

I am interested in the answer to this as well. Thanks in advance!

jrwill
    Participant

I took a look at the insides of the dongle with a 60x microscope I have access to and there are definitely SIM contacts inside the TF slot. I think I know how I can open the CD as well… I’m going to see if I have enough tools at home to do it “safely.” If I can, pictures will be forthcoming…

bosaad
    Participant

Interesting, I think it’s easy to open just remove the cup then turn the silver piece counter clockwise.

jrwill
    Participant

Actually, all you have to do is rotate the silver cap and it’ll unscrew. It IS glued down so it might take a little work, but I just got mine open. Now to figure out how to break the rest of it down…

lllsondowlll
    Blocked

@jrwill

There is a plastic tab behind the usb male port that pops off. Under it is a sticky rubber. Scraping it away reveals two philips screws. Removing them allows for the dongle to slide out of it’s shell. Afterward there is a top covering that needs released by two clips where the male usb port is. Once removed there is a small ribbon cable that needs the connector lifted then removed.

I have already disassembled mine looking for SPI ports on the board for soldering a reflasher (since the CarDongle team uploaded firmware and flasher that bricks our devices and I was the first victim) but I have given up since I ended up making my own car dongle out of an old phone + screen2auto. But I digress. This is a mediatek board but does not appear to have a radio for cell signal. Cardongle also said in their Indiegogo page that it doesn’t support SIM cards in a response to someone a few moments ago.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by lllsondowlll.
    jrwill
    Participant

Damn. 🙁

That’s really disappointing. There’s starting to be a LOT of things that are really disappointing…

Tommy
    Keymaster

GUYS —– PLEASE DO NOT OPEN THE UNITS — if you do so, you do so at your own risk.

This being said, there should be a reset button somewhere on the board.

We will try and troubleshoot units via fw updates first.

SIM card support is not supported in this model.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.