Home Forums Developer’s Section test image

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    jerwam
    Participant

Well, firstly God knows why I can’t edit the post – but at least the image is working. Secondly, I can’t delete the post either, but more importantly… as you can see from the image the v1.5 device has a working GPS, in the real world, in a car, and it updates while driving!

I did a quick test while driving around my neighborhood, and Google Maps worked as expected! Even with a couple of wrong turns thrown in to make sure it was able to reroute me accordingly, and it worked, this is the device I paid for. No need to connect the unit to my phone to the GPS Mirror app, it worked out of the box.

I will say that it was hot to the touch when I unplugged it, but it didn’t turn off like some of the v1 devices were doing during video playback. I haven’t tested any video playback/streaming as that wasn’t the reason I purchased the device, but more importantly with my 2013 Ford Focus not having AC at the moment, I am not about to sit in 32C heat to find out what happens.

I’ll do some more testing on the unit when my Wife gets home with our Prius, mainly testing a longer drive to see if the heat does cause it to shut down at all. Do let me know what else you’d like me to test and I’ll make sure to get it done.

Cheers

AP756
    Participant

Jerwam, if you don’t mind please try Sygic from Playstore (offline map). Also would be nice to know if you can get some Bluetooth connections to work (OBD2, keyboard, mouse or track ball, …)

Thanks in advance and bye for now Fred

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by AP756.
    AP756
    Participant

Oh, forgot to mention connection to phone (tethering), 2.4 or 5 GHz, streaming programs etc.

Again by for now Fred

jerwam
    Participant

The only major change from the v1 and v1.5 is a functioning GPS antenna, the rest is pretty much the same.

I can say both versions connected to the phone WiFi, and home WiFi, although I’m not sure what side of the home WiFi as I don’t have split SSIDs.

I don’t have a lot of Bluetooth devices at home, but I do have a Bluetooth ODB2 adapter I can connect to, so I’ll test that.

Streaming and video playback did work, for a short period of time mind you, in the v1 devices, and as there wasn’t any improvements on cooling in the new version, I’d assume the v1.5 will die after the same time period.

There looks to be a new firmware on it, so I can check to see what happens with the major streaming services, other then Netflix of course, if there is video along with the audio.

jerwam
    Participant

Quick update:

I was able to connect to my ODB2 adapter, but only inside the Carista app. Outside of that the CarDongle didn’t show it was connected to a Bluetooth device.

WiFi seems weaker then it did in the v1 device, sitting in my driveway it had a hard time connecting to home WiFi, but it connects fine inside the house. I think the v1 device connected better to home WiFi from the driveway, so I’ll test that tomorrow.

I didn’t do any testing on video playback is streaming yet, stay tuned for that.

jerwam
    Participant

WiFi update:

I tested both units in my car, just in the driveway, and I can confirm the v1.5 won’t connect to my home WiFi, where the v1 device does. The v1.5 does connect to home WiFi at my desk, using Mirroid, and it connects to the cell WiFi while in the car, so I think that is a fair trade to have a working GPS antenna.

AP756
    Participant

Thank you Jerwam, much apprechiated. Regarding temperatures (and more) please install “device info HW” from Playstore. Hopefully it will give you some additional info.

Regarding Wifi: Interferences between GPS and Wifi has been a known problem with lots of mobiles. Because you don’t need GPS on your driveway you may try to switch it off (you can download via WiFi) and on again after finishing. This should work.

Do you know the program “hidden settings”? Maybe it helps to get your OBD2 working on the system. Download from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.PDquila.HiddenSettings

Well, enough for the time being. Enjoy finding solutions.

Bye for now. Fred

AP756
    Participant

Can’t edit my last post. Forgot another important and helpful link:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dxidev.openhiddensettings

Bye for now. Fred

jerwam
    Participant

Hello Fred. I’m using the launcher Free Car Launcher, and it has its own settings app that can connect with the proper settings of the Android OS. I have a couple of pictures of what the Bluetooth settings looks like in the OS, but this forum isn’t the easiest one to upload pictures too. As you can see from the start of this forum 🙂

It does appear to pair to things, like it’ll connect to my Surface Pro 6 via Bluetooth, but when I exit the Bluetooth menu and go back to it, it shows nothing is connected via Bluetooth. I go into previously connected devices, it shows the Surface, but it won’t re-connect until I forget the Surface from the CD, and forget the CD from the Surface. At that point I click on connect, my Surface prompts that something wants to connect to it, I hit allow, the CD connects, then when I exit the menu, and go back, it doesn’t’ show connected.

It might just be the settings app not having the proper access to the device, but who knows for sure. It’d be nice to have access to the bootloader so we can flash different roms to the device, but for now I’m just living with a different launcher.

I’ll test the same on the v1 device and see if it behaves the same way.

jerwam
    Participant

Bluetooth Update:

Looks like the v1 device does see more things to connect too, but it has the same connection issues when it does connect. The v1 device can see the two different Chromecasts I have on this floor, but the v1.5 device only sees the Surface it’s plugged into, and not the Chromecast devices. Even though one of the Bluetooth devices is located in the same room. So it looks like there might have been a sacrifice on the WiFi/Bluetooth end to get a better GPS antenna.

Not sure why the settings app doesn’t keep things connected, but that’s how things are I guess.

AP756
    Participant

See the “CD settings app” as level 0, “car launcher” is level 1. Changes on level 1 are not transported correct to level 0. Your description lets me assume, that some settings are non-changable, because they are either in non-volatile memory or the programs don’t have the needed rights.

Regarding bootloader: We got all we need for V1 hardware, you got the hardware too (not me). Up to you to root and make CarDongle fly 😉

Bye for now. Fred

jerwam
    Participant

Hardware update:

I just noticed a couple of things in regards to the SOC on both devices, the v1.5 device I have is of lowered specs in both cores and RAM. The v1 device is a Helio P22 with 4gb of RAM and 64gb of ROM, where the v1.5 device I have is a Helio A22 with 3gb of RAM and only 32gb of ROM.

I sent an email to the CarDongle team to check into this. I’ll update once I receive word. I was wondering why the v1.5 device wasn’t as snappy as the v1.0 device is.

AP756
    Participant

You are the master tester 🙂

Bye for now. Fred

AP756
    Participant

It seems I can’t send links on this forum. Well, any genius wanting to know more about Wifi and GPS interference will find his/her way around:
    hxxxx
    forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?t=26845

Wifi and Bluetooth interference:
    hxxxx codejourney.net/2017/04/wifi-and-bluetooth-interference-diagnosing-and-fixing/

@Tommy: There must be a way to transfer important information (maybe more user rights on the forum for approved people). Please try to be less restricting. Thanks

Bye for now. Fred

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.