Home Forums Developer’s Section test image

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant

GPS Update:

I further tested Google Maps on a longer drive, 45min, and I can say it worked as expected. In town the GPS wasn’t spot on, so a couple of times it thought I was a street to the right, so it kept trying to re-route me back onto the proper route, but that is expected when I’m in between a couple of high-rises.

Fred, I did test out your offline Sygic navigation app, and it does work quite well. It downloaded the local maps, and was able to properly route me to my local Mall.

When it comes to re-routing, I can say Sygic was the quicker of the two, I’d assume that is because Google Maps needs to reach back up to the cloud and use WiFi/the CPU/RAM in order to re-determine route. There was a couple of times Google Maps took roughly 5min before it was able to get me back on track.

It is hard to say if GMaps took so long due to being out in the sticks where my Cell didn’t have decent coverage, or if we can solely blame the drop in cores/RAM that is in the v1.5 device.

AP756
    Participant

Jerwam, great report, thank you.

Regarding GPS accuracy: I’d suggest that the partial inaccuracy can be caused from interference with Bluetooth (Google Maps continuously downloads online content via your phone). Would be interesting to compare with offline-Sygic… At least GPS works, that’s good news.

Processing speed: Hopefully CarDongle will tell us the reason for changing CPU and memory. Sure, in direct comparison you’ll feel the difference. If you never had a “fast experience” you might not miss the power. Well, we’ll see.

Just a call to all others who sent their interest for being the master beta tester: Come on guys, give us some ideas what has to be tested! Just because you were not selected does not mean CarDongle doesn’t need your input 😉

Bye for now Fred

jerwam
    Participant

They haven’t gotten back to me on the hardware side of things. I combed through their Indiegogo site, and I didn’t see any mentions of the lower specs being in the v1.5; so here is hoping they only built this particular v1.5 with lower specs to confirm the GPS is working. I’m sure it was a little cheaper to manufacture.

All of their marketing material still calls out the 8 core CPU with either 2gb/16gb or 4gb/64gb – it’s even on the bottom of the box they shipped the v1.5 in, so any cost savings on dropping the hardware specs would be eaten up by the cost of rebranding all their materials.

Once I hear from them, I’ll post an update. I’ve also asked them to improve their forum as a whole, so they might look at using wpforo.com instead.

Tommy
    Keymaster

We will go ahead and launch a development forum with more features @jerwam — thanks for all of your hard work!

jerwam
    Participant

Hello Tommy, Any word on the lower specs of the v1.5 I have? I haven’t gotten an email back from your team, nor has anyone mentioned the lower specs on the Indiegogo site. I ordered the Octacore 4gb RAM and 64gb ROM version, but the v1.5 device I am testing is only a Quadcore device, with 3gb of RAM and 32gb ROM.

The difference in hardware specs is noticeable, so hopefully once the true 1.5 devices are released I’ll get something similar to the one I ordered. Can’t imagine you’ll have a lot of happy customers once they receive a lower spec’d unit then they purchased.

Hopefully you can get me an answer.

Cheers.

mozzer33uk
    Participant

Hi Jerwam I would be interested also.. i can’t understand why they would reduce the specs maybe on the hope nobody would spot it… but I think it would make a considerable difference in speed etc..

Please keep us informed.

blowbo
    Participant

I find it concerning that the CarDongle team has not responded to the question pertaining to the reduced specs in 13 days. I’m starting to lose confidence in this product and would like to see some words of assurance from the team that consumers will be delivered a functional unit with the specs that were promised.

AP756
    Participant

If CarDongle has a need to change some specs, they will inform us. At present we have just one unit – a test unit – with “wrong” specs, GPS antenna is fixed and I’m sure they still discuss with the chip manufacturer…

On the other hand your missing confidence can be discussed outside of the developer section, @Tommy will inform us (My guess: the discussions with chip manufacturers seem to take much longer than expected and CarDongle knows that the change makes a significant difference). Be patient

Bye for now Fred

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by AP756.
    jerwam
    Participant

Looks like I was right, they merely built out the lower spec’d units for testing, so possibly the first 10 going to the beta testers. Once they officially go into production, they’ll have the proper specs. I guess that just means the 10 beta testers may need to ship the beta v1.5 devices back to get their proper ones, but I’ll confirm that once I hear more.

As far as things people want tested, let’s start a list and I’ll do what I can to get them crossed off. The first suggestion I’ll make to the CD team is to have a button that triggers the recovery process. These new devices seem a bit more difficult to open compared to the older units. So it won’t be an easy thing to short the required pins.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by jerwam.
    AP756
    Participant

– “extended setup” out of the box (without need of installing additional programs like CarLauncher)
    – full ROM should be downloadable at the same time as over the air downloads
    – direct start of YGPS (GPS monitor provided with any MTK processor)
    – unlockable bootloader, working adb for root users
    – integrate drivers to contact to CarDongle like you do with any mobile (easy data transfer)
    – integrated file manager
    – opening the 128 GB limit of SDcards
    – integrated screen drivers to run CarDongle on some external screens (this results in an independent Android PC)

These topics are just a short list of ideas. Please feel free to add your ideas

Bye for now Fred

Space_Bison
    Participant

Hi Jerwam. Great stuff you are doing here in collaboration with Fred.

I’m curious about any pre-installed applications in V1.5. Did the V1.0 hacked (non-upgradable) Android Auto/YouTube/Netflix and so forth appear? How about that non removable Korean application? (which would have been nice to delete…)

On V1.5 it would be nice to use official upgradable Google versions of those 3 apps…..

PS: I’ve sent my V1.0 on to another fellow here in Canada so that’s about all I think of for the list now. Spending my time with the Wireless Android Auto device.

jerwam
    Participant

Yeah, the firmware was pretty much the same, including the built in apps. I did see a new sitting under GPS, instead of the one that said something like “Use Phone GPS” it now says “Use Car GPS” I don’t have built in navigation in either of my cars so I can’t test how well that functions.

The physical design of the device is different, in that it’ll be harder to open for anyone that soft bricks their devices. I know there was some documentation on what to do with the v1.0, as in opening it up, shortly a couple of pins, etc. – but that isn’t going to work with these 1.5 devices, at least opening it is different. I’m not sure if this is my official v1.5 device as the hardware specs aren’t what I ordered, so I don’t want to try and open it.

One of the main reasons it’d be good to have some sort of button or trigger to set that off. I’m not sure if it can be done via firmware or not. I know some android applications can do it, but not sure how that’d work with these CarDongle devices. Most of the time they’d need root access, and I don’t think any one has been able to root these devices yet.

RKCRLR
    Participant

I’m not a developer by any means but I have a testing request. If this isn’t the right place to post this just let me know. I posted a similar question in the FAQ section but thought I might get better visibility here.

My car (2020 Chevy MyLink system) supports Android Auto and I am generally happy with how it works when connected to my phone. Good integration with car’s controls, etc. The main problem is Android Auto’s restrictions on allowable applications. I use a radar detector app (JBV1) which isn’t allowed within Android Auto. Currently I use an app (Screen2Auto) that allows other apps to work within Android Auto but I don’t know how long that will last. I’m trying to avoid having to mount a phone in my car to interact with.

My concern with CarDongle is I’ve seen comments that it doesn’t support the car’s steering wheel controls, microphone, etc. The mic really concerns me since my USB ports are in my center console and I don’t want to have the CarDongle dangling out. For a while I was using an old phone (without a cell plan) as a dedicated Android Auto “server”. The main problem with that with that was I couldn’t make a phone call from within Google Assistant.

What I don’t understand is why CarDongle can’t be made to run Android Auto and interact with my car just like my phone does when it is running Android Auto. I understand I would still need to use my phone as a wifi hotspot.

Could someone try installing Android Auto on CarDongle and see if they can get it to interact with the car the same way a phone with Android Auto does?

jerwam
    Participant

Android Auto is pre-installed on the device, mainly due to it needing the app to function properly. One thing you cannot do is try to re-use it while it’s already in use. I tried to click on the AA app while it was connected, and it just drops you to the main launcher again.

I haven’t tried Google assistant with it yet, nor have I tried any steering wheel controls, I can do tomorrow on my next trip. Report back afterwards.

RKCRLR
    Participant

Android Auto is pre-installed on the device, mainly due to it needing the app to function properly. One thing you cannot do is try to re-use it while it’s already in use. I tried to click on the AA app while it was connected, and it just drops you to the main launcher again.

Interesting, I saw a post from Tommy saying he was going to do a video on how to sideload it so I assumed it wasn’t installed.

I haven’t tried Google assistant with it yet, nor have I tried any steering wheel controls, I can do tomorrow on my next trip. Report back afterwards.

My main concern is being able to search for a phone number and then choose it from the results to place a call. I can probably live without the steering wheel controls but I think not being able to use the car microphone will be a deal killer. My USB ports are in my center console and I don’t think the CarDongle mic will work very good with the lid closed.

Thanks for your effort.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.