Home Forums Faq’s Will I still be able to use the cars Bluetooth for wireless calls?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

If I correctly understand how Cardroid works, it connects to my car using Android Auto. For Android Auto to work correctly my phone needs to be connected to the cars Bluetooth. So I assume Cardroid needs to connect to the cars Bluetooth as well.

My question is; when Cardroid is connected will I still be able to use the cars Bluetooth for handsfree calls and texts? If not, is it possible to route calls and texts through Cardroid (hopefully to the cars built in systems so I don’t lose steering controls,in car microphones,etc.). It’s very important because hands free calling and texting keeps you from having to check your phone while driving.

Thanks!

Tommy
    Keymaster

CarDroid has its own bluetooth chipset so can connect to your phone directly. Hence, you can still use CarDroid to answer and make calls. Cheers

KongRamrod
    Participant

That’s great! Will Cardroid be able to use the cars built-in systems like the in car microphones, steering wheel controls and speakers?

Tommy
    Keymaster

cannot use the steering wheel controls. It can interact with your speakers. CarDroid has builtin mic…

vlada011
    Blocked

Other words you need to use cardroid and to forget to use your car system.
    Tried tonight and I must say I was a little dissapointed.
    Idea of cardroid was to be android auto device and that you can use your phone like
    you use it before you connect cardroid.
    There must be some workaround to use it that way you want.

RKCRLR
    Participant

I agree with other comments that the device should have an option to work just as if you had plugged in a phone using Android Auto with regards to making phone calls.
    I’d want to be able to use the steering wheel controls, car microphone, and car speakers for phone calls just like you can with Android Auto. The main difference would need to be is you aren’t limited to Android Auto compatible apps.
    My car (Chevrolet MyLink system) can connect to multiple phones for incoming calls but only one phone can be identified as a primary phone for both incoming and outgoing calls if that helps.

Alagave
    Participant

The built in button microphone is useless for me since my Lincoln Aviator does not have an exposed USB connector, that connector is in the console compartment.

I heartily support an option to leave all phone operations controlled by the car controls. I would actually prefer that CD uses my car wifi instead of the cellular service.

RKCRLR
    Participant

I understand I cannot use the car’s microphone, steering wheel controls, etc. on CarDongle for apps other than Android Auto. But if I install Android Auto on CarDongle will it act just like when I connect a phone with Android Auto to my car?
    Will my car’s microphone, steering wheel controls, etc. work when using the Android Auto app installed on CarDongle?
    I understand I will need a separate phone for a Wi-Fi hotspot if I want to access the internet.

chrisstavrou
    Participant

See the review with my car at

It may help you understand how it works in my car at least.

It seems it’s not tight with android auto, it requires some tweaking on the Bluetooth to stop it from using the phone for calls and connects over wifi to any wifi network.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by chrisstavrou.
    RKCRLR
    Participant

It’s encouraging that the car’s steering wheel controls still work. Did you ever confirm that Google Assistant uses the car’s microphone?

My car (Chevy MyLink system) allows multiple simultaneous Bluetooth connections but only the primary phone can be used for outgoing calls. For a while I was using an old phone as a dedicated Android Auto “server”. One of the problems with that was when I used Google Assistant to search for a phone number I couldn’t place the phone call using Google Assistant. I would get a connection error. Can you search for a phone number and place a call using Google Assistant by selecting it on the infotainment display?

The main reason I’m considering CarDongle is I use a radar detector app that isn’t allowed on Android Auto. How easy is it to toggle back and forth between Android Auto and another app?

chrisstavrou
    Participant

From what i understood the implementation of android auto seems only one way in respect to audio/video that is:
    CD is capable of redirecting sound and video output to the headunit of the car through android auto.

However its able to send the steering controls back to the audio running application (like poweramp, vlc).

Google assistant runs on CD and its listening on the CD onboard mic (I did not manage to make it receive audio from the headunit back to CD through android audio).
    Also Assistant can not make a call or send text from the CD itself to the phone as it thinks that the device (CD) does not have call/text capabilities.
    (To overcome the above I developed my own android programs (one on CD and one on my phone). I will give more info a bit later on).

CD runs the programs as native android and not as Android auto so the interface and any limitations that android auto has do not necessarily apply.
    Android auto runs invisible at the background and there is no switching as such.

RKCRLR
    Participant

From what i understood the implementation of android auto seems only one way in respect to audio/video that is:
    CD is capable of redirecting sound and video output to the headunit of the car through android auto.

However its able to send the steering controls back to the audio running application (like poweramp, vlc).

Google assistant runs on CD and its listening on the CD onboard mic (I did not manage to make it receive audio from the headunit back to CD through android audio).
    Also Assistant can not make a call or send text from the CD itself to the phone as it thinks that the device (CD) does not have call/text capabilities.
    (To overcome the above I developed my own android programs (one on CD and one on my phone). I will give more info a bit later on).

CD runs the programs as native android and not as Android auto so the interface and any limitations that android auto has do not necessarily apply.
    Android auto runs invisible at the background and there is no switching as such.

This is disappointing. I was hoping CarDongle would work just like Android Auto does when my phone is connected to my car with the exception of also being to use apps that Android Auto doesn’t allow. Hopefully this can be resolved with firmware updates and/or other apps. For the time being I will continue to use Screen2Auto until Google completely closes the door.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.